Terms + Conditions
THE 2018 NEW ZEALAND SPACE CHALLENGE TERMS & CONDITIONS
VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW
Please Read This Carefully! By entering the NZ Space Challenge 2018, you are indicating your intention to be bound by these Terms & Conditions (“T&Cs”). Please print and keep a copy of these T&Cs for your records.
1. The 2018 NZ Space Challenge (“Space Challenge”) is open to individuals and multi-person teams, with a start date of 1 February 2018 and a duration of 3 months. The Space Challenge will conclude with a final presentation and award (“Final Pitch”) to be held 24 May 2018 in Christchurch, New Zealand.
2. The 2018 NZ Space Challenge Website (“Website”) contains important dates, the deadlines for submissions, and may contain additional rules or limitations.
3. There is no fee for entry.
4. You can withdraw your submission at any time by emailing email@example.com and stating that you wish to withdraw.
5. In its sole discretion, ChristchurchNZ reserves the right (a) to suspend or cancel the Space Challenge at any time, and for any reason, without notice to you or (b) to amend these T&Cs by posting such amendments to the Website. By your continued participation in the Space Challenge after any amendment is so posted, you consent to be bound by such amendments.
6. ChristchurchNZ retains the sole discretion to determine that any submission does not comply with these T&Cs and to disqualify the submission. Decisions to disqualify submissions are final and conclusive, and require no prior notice to you. You further acknowledge that you have no other claim or remedy with respect to being disqualified.
7. All submissions must be in the English language. You may only make submissions on your own behalf. ChristchurchNZ will not accept entries sent through third parties, agencies or by automated means (such as scripts and macros).
Submissions by 1 (one) or more member teams will be allowed. You must credit the co-developer or co-developers in your team in your submission. At least one team member must be available to represent the team at the Space Challenge final pitches and award (“Final Pitch”) on 24 May 2018 in Christchurch, NZ.
8. Plagiarism, copyright violations, or other forms of dishonesty are prohibited and will not be tolerated. You acknowledge that such acts of dishonesty will be grounds for immediate dismissal from the Space Challenge or revocation of a Prize if they are discovered after a Prize is given to a winning team.
10. Submissions may not contain illegal or discriminatory content and may not advocate for unethical behavior. In addition to the foregoing, in all activities associated with the Space Challenge, you agree to conduct yourself in a manner that is honorable and respectful of (and not disruptive to) other Space Challenge participants.
SPACE CHALLENGE SPONSOR JUDGING, WINNERS, AND THE PRIZE:
11. The sponsor of the Space Challenge is ChristchurchNZ. ChristchurchNZ’s principal office is located at:
PO Box 2962, Christchurch
BNZ Centre, Level 3, 11 Cashel Street, Chrstchurch 8011
ChristchurchNZ’s phone number is +64 3 977 5986
and its email address is firstname.lastname@example.org . Additional sponsors of the Space Challenge are listed on the Space Challenge Website.
12. Judging of the Space Challenge will be in two phases. In phase 1, an advisory committee comprised of academic, industry, and government representatives will evaluate each submission to ensure it meets the challenge criteria. The advisory committee will then share each application that meets the challenge criteria for each region with an expert panel of between two (2) and ten (10) judges selected by ChristchurchNZ based on applications submitted in region/location. Each regional panel will review all submissions shared by the advisory committee and select a finalist (the “Finalist”) for each region. The regional panels may solicit additional information from the Finalists. In phase 2, a panel of experts between eight (8) to twelve (12) judges from different regions will select one (1) individual or team for a Grand Prize.
13. All Finalists, including the Grand Prize winner, will receive featured placements in innovation labs within their regions. All Finalists, including the Grand Prize winner, will also receive lifetime memberships to the SpaceBase community platform. Invitation to present at the Final Pitch includes economy flight ticket to and from Christchurch within New Zealand, and one night accommodation for one team representative. It does not include leisure or entertainment expenses to attend the Final Pitch.
After receiving notice of being chosen as a Finalist, each individual/ team will have 5 (5 business days, or if sooner, until 20 May 2018 (the “Claim Period”), to confirm their participation in the Final Pitch session by communicating by email to ChristchurchNZ at email@example.com .
14. To claim the Grand Prize and Finalist prizes (cash and/or in-kind awards), the winning individual/team members must meet all the Space Challenge application requirements.
15. The Finalists will be determined by the date set forth on the Space Challenge Website, and will be notified within seven (7) days after selection, using the contact information supplied in the team’s submission. You acknowledge that it is your obligation to provide updated contact information to ChristchurchNZ if your contact information changes during the Space Challenge. You acknowledge that if you change your contact information or fail to update your contact information and ChristchurchNZ is not able to contact you before the Claims Period elapses, you shall forfeit the opportunity to compete and have no claim against ChristchurchNZ. If the Finalists do not acknowledge participation within the Claim Period, are unwilling or unable to attend the Final Pitch, are unwilling or unable to comply with any of the foregoing conditions incumbent on parties receiving conditional acceptance or if a winning individual/team does claim the Prize, but is later determined to be ineligible for the Prize, then the applicable winning individual/team will forfeit the Prize and will not receive any alternative prize. In any of these instances, ChristchurchNZ may in its sole discretion declare the Space Challenge to be void and there to be no replacement winning team, or alternatively, ChristchurchNZ may choose (if applicable) to award the next eligible Finalist.
16. The Prize is personal to the winning team members, and non-transferable. Any attempt to transfer the Prize is null and void. The approximate retail value of each in-kind Finalist award is $NZ 2700, and of the Grand Prize is NZ$40,000. No cash alternative is offered. You are responsible for any and all taxes which may be payable as the result of receipt of the Prize (including, but not limited to, sales and use taxes, if any).
17. ChristchurchNZ will keep records of all winning team members for at least two (2) years after the Prize is awarded. For a period of at least six months, ChristchurchNZ will display the winning team members’ names and photos (if ChristchurchNZ obtains photos) on the Space Challenge Website.
USE OF YOUR LIKENESS AND SUBMISSION:
18. You understand and agree that nothing in these T&Cs allow you to make a claim with respect to ownership of any intellectual property created by another Space Challenge participant. Except as expressly stated in the following paragraphs, nothing in these T&Cs shall convey any rights in any intellectual property, trade secrets or inventions to ChristchurchNZ.
19. You acknowledge that ChristchurchNZ may photograph and/or record any live Space Challenge-related events. You grant to ChristchurchNZ, and you will obtain from each team member on whose behalf you are submitting the application, the non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid, irrevocable, sub-licensable right and license (but not the obligation) to use, modify, publish, republish, publicly display and copy your, and your team members’ (as applicable), name, alias, and biographical information submitted by you in order to compete in the Space Challenge or to attend the Final Pitch, voice, photograph, quotes and excerpts of your verbally expressed words, or other likeness whether captured during or after the Space Challenge or during or after the Final Pitch (hereinafter collectively referred to as the “Likeness”) as well as all of the work that you reduce to a tangible form in connection with the submission (the “submission Content”) for any lawful purpose and/or for advertising, publicity, marketing, promotion and fundraising efforts of ChristchurchNZ and its various programs, products, and events, and all allied ancillary and subsidiary rights therein and thereto (including without limitation merchandising and commercial tie-in rights), without separate compensation to you; provided however, that if you notify ChristchurchNZ of such fact and ChristchurchNZ deems your position to be reasonable, ChristchurchNZ agrees, for a period of one year from such notification, not to publish information that you deem to be potentially patentable.
20. You understand that the Likeness and submission Content may be copied, reproduced, and distributed by means of various media, including without limitation video and audio recordings, television, radio, news releases, mail--outs, emails, billboards, signs, brochures, websites, online and other digital and electronic delivery including social media, publication, display, or promotion on any and all other media. The Likeness and submission Content may be subject to reasonable modification or editing. You will have no right to review the Likeness or submission Content before it is used and ChristchurchNZ’s decisions with respect to use of the Likeness and submission Content will be final. You relinquish and give ChristchurchNZ all rights, title, and interest in and to the Likeness in materials prepared by or on behalf of ChristchurchNZ, including all copyright therein. You agree to waive and never to assert, any and all moral rights that you may have in or with respect to the copyrighted work within the submission Content.
COVENANTS, REPRESENTATIONS, AND WARRANTIES:
21. You may not include in your submission any content in which another person or organization has a proprietary interest unless you have first obtained their permission. You represent and warrant that except as disclosed in your submission, you own all rights, title, and interest in and to the submission Content.
22. You represent that neither your participation, nor any of your team members’ participation, in the Space Challenge, nor your compliance with these T&Cs will infringe, misappropriate, or violate the rights of any third parties or will breach any agreement that you have entered into, or will enter into with any third party, including without limitation any agreement to keep any third party’s proprietary information confidential. You hereby agree not to enter into any written or oral agreement that conflicts with these T&Cs.
23. You acknowledge that ChristchurchNZ is the lawful owner of the name, “ChristchurchNZ” and its associated trademarks and service marks, and you agree that unless you receive advance written approval from a senior manager of ChristchurchNZ, you will take no action inconsistent with ChristchurchNZ’s ownership of its names, trademarks, and service marks, including without limitation any incorporation of any of the foregoing into a longer name or other logo. For the avoidance of doubt, and without placing any limitation on the foregoing, you expressly agree not to place the logo or other trademarks of ChristchurchNZ on any product being offered for sale, promotional or any other commercial purposes whether in a physical or online format.
24. You hereby agree to release, discharge, and hold harmless ChristchurchNZ and any additional sponsors from any liability, claims, losses, injuries, and damages arising out of or relating to or that you may sustain as a result of or in the course of your participation in the Space Challenge or the acceptance, use, misuse, or possession of any Prize. IN NO EVENT SHALL CHRISTCHURCHNZ HAVE ANY LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, COVER, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES HOWEVER CAUSED, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, OR UNDER ANY OTHER THEORY OF LIABILITY, AND WHETHER OR NOT THE PARTY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
25. Your participation in the Space Challenge does not create a partnership, franchise, joint venture, or employment relationship between you and ChristchurchNZ. You agree not to hold yourself out as an employee, agent, servant, partner, fiduciary, or joint -venturer of ChristchurchNZ. You shall not purport, through social media or otherwise, to speak on behalf of ChristchurchNZ in an official capacity. You shall not represent ChristchurchNZ, act as its agent, or otherwise enter into any contractual agreement or attempt to bind ChristchurchNZ.
26. Your participation in the Space Challenge and these T&Cs are governed by New Zealand law (without regard to its conflicts of law provisions).